The Maldives is a bunch of beautiful coral reef islands, which is rapidly catching up as a popular tourist and honeymooning spot. Administratively, it is a southeast Asian country located in the Indian Ocean. It is the smallest country in Asia in terms of size and population.
We cannot deny the fact that the Maldives is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world and thousands of people from all across the globe travel to this island country for tourism, leisure, work and business too. To all the travellers coming in, the Maldives government issues three different types of visas for all the foreign nationals visiting the country.
· Maldives tourist visa
· Business visa
· Family and friend visit visa
• Your passport should be valid for at least next 6 months from the date of travel.
• You should hold an air ticket to fly out of the Maldives.
• You should be carrying enough money to pay for the expenses during the duration of your stay.
• You must have proof of your stay in the country with valid reasons.
• A valid passport with expiration date at least 6 months away from the date of travel.
• Two photographs per applicant (optional)
• Proof of a confirmed hotel reservation. These could be the hotel vouchers sent by your travel manager.
• Valid air tickets for your return from the Maldives. You may have tickets to another country other than your home country.
It is mandatory to meet the above conditions and to have all the necessary documents ready to get a tourist visa for the Maldives on arrival. Also, you must remember that the Department of Immigration and Emigration in the Maldives holds the right to allow you less than the usual 30 days.
Sometimes, when the travellers do not take the hotel reservation with them, they are granted the visa. However, there are cases of deportation due to the lack of hotel reservation. Thus, it is important to carry one with you. Most of the cases the Immigration Department checks if you have enough cash (at least US Dollar 150 per night) in hand to allow your entry to the Maldives.
For any kind of visa queries and extension applications, the head office of the Department of Immigration and Emigration is located at Huravee Building, 3rd Floor, Ameeru Ahmed Magu, Male'.
There is a charge of MVR750 for an extension of 60 days. In case you fail to get your visa extended and you are caught living in the Maldives without a visa, you are immediately deported out of the country.
Please remember, you are not allowed to work in the country on a Maldives tourist visa. There are strict penalties and immediate deportations if anyone is found working while they stay as a tourist. Your tourist visa may be revoked if you are involved in politics or unlawful activities at any point during your stay.